24 January, 2010

Librivox rocks my socks!

For the Uninitiated, LibriVox is a platform intent on the 'acoustical liberation of books in the public domain'. Volunteers sign up, record portions or whole works, and then they get posted online for download or streaming playback. Basically, you get awesome old books as audiobooks for free. The downside is that sometimes the sound quality leaves you wanting more, i.e. an unintelligible narrator or chattery mic.

This evening, I listened to
Charlotte Mew's The Farmer's Wife, a collection of poetry published in 1921, while I cleaned my abode. While of a more feminist bent than I personally subscribe, the sounds and rhythm lulled me into a productive flurry. I now have sorted a collection of papers and have an entire grocery sack full for the recycling!